Johnno

Monday, November 14, 2005

The Jacarandas are out.


Jacarandas Posted by Picasa


I can pretty well set my calendar by what time the Jacarandas viewed from my balconey start blooming. They bloom very late in the year, around the first week of November, much later than those down on the flats of the Sydney plains. I'm unsure why the late blooming here, perhaps its to do with the micro-climate around here, described by a United Nations metereologist as the most equitable in the world.

It's been a long, dry winter which makes them bloom even stronger.

They are beautiful trees, native to South America but lovingly adopted by those downunder in Oz. A friend flying back from Alice Springs in the dry, central, red soiled outback heard a desert dweller on the plane ask, "What are all those purple things?". It was the multitude of Jacarandas in full bloom.

I was in Parrramatta on Tuesday night and there were some Jacarandas next to the Parramatta River, dropping their blooms in the slowly moving current. A patch of intense purple petals sat under the trees in the brown river dispersing and reducing in intensity as they drifted downstream...... gorgeous!

3 Comments:

  • I was just commenting on the Jacarandas round the golf course last friday. They really jazz the place up don't they?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:59 pm  

  • They sure do.

    I forgot this piece of trivia, my Grandfather's second wife had an extreme blue rinse which we referred to as "Jacaranda Blue"

    By Blogger Johnno, at 3:04 pm  

  • Fancy coming to Sydney for a drink on the 2nd (I think that's the date) for Nailpolish blues? It would be nice to catch up.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home