Johnno

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Purple Haze's second trial.

Got a call yesterday from the guy who runs the horse syndicate I'm in. Horse aka "Purple Haze" would be trialling at Penrith paceway. Would I be interested in turning up?

You betcha!

Ok so "Purple Haze" never got the name "Purple Haze" but the more Gaelic "McMahon", however will be Purple Haze to me. The actual owner who we are leasing it off got in the naming rights ....so McMahon it is. Bummer, it's rather a dull name IMHO.

I forgot my camera, however took a few snaps with my camera phone. This was his second trial, first one he did well coming first out of six.



I'm no longer posting photos of the cat....now it's the horse!

Couple of things I noticed at the paceway. The owners were all just trialling, so things were pretty relaxed. Casual clothes, people standing around doing a lot of talking, grooming and gearing up. Food available at the track consisted of hot chips, pies and hamburgers and black brewed coffee with not a double frappe soy mile latte in sight.



Mc Mahon at the left and a heap of other nags behind.

Most of the trainers either had their children or grandchildren around, so there were kids having a ball on the grassy knoll overlooking the track, high on sugar from the cola that seemed to be the only thing to drink. Wives of trainers were yelling very loudly at children who didn't seem to be listening.

There were heaps of horse floats towed by large 4 wheels drives and American pickups. Monstrous bloody great things made to tow and tow pretty fast. Didn't get a pic but I'll get one next time.

Onto McMahon's trial, the seventh for the night. The trainer wanted him to start late and just stay behind to get a feel or racing, which the driver did. Started way back and stayed there. He did the mile in 2.03 which is good for second time up. He's the blur on the left hand side.



Better photos later when I take my camera!

There was even a race caller for the trials which was a hoot, I think he was practising for the real events, nevertheless...it added a bit of atmosphere to the night. Next trial will be next week.




2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home