Johnno

Monday, August 13, 2007

Rookwood Necropolis

For some reason I found myself once again in the Catholic section of Rookwood Necropolis. It's the largest cemetery in Australia and for whatever reason I find some sort of peace there.

I had my camera in the car and the sun was just beginning to set so I took a few pics.

These two are my favourites. the one above has an IHS on it supposedly the first three letters in Greek for Iησους (Iēsous)...... don't see that spelling in the King James. It's also said to stand for the latin phrase in hoc signo, short for in hoc signo vinces (in this sign you shall conquer).....or Iesus Hominum Salvator (Jesus saviour of men).

Like most things Catholic the real meaning seems to be have lost in time.

The below is a nice image with the background out of focus.

4 Comments:

  • Grand shots, really grand. Thank you for sharing.

    By Blogger David, at 7:46 am  

  • "Like most things Catholic the real meaning seems to be have lost in time."

    As a non-religious sort of guy planning a wedding with a girl of the same non-religious feelings, but battling her religious parents at every turn about wedding planning... that rings so true.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:39 am  

  • Beautiful photography

    By Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic, at 11:55 am  

  • Thankyou very much guys. I'll be taking some more around there later on.

    By Blogger Johnno, at 5:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home