Johnno

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

New and old toys

I've finally got a camera which has a decent zoom AND can take half decent pictures in the half light and a heap of other tricks. The parrot and clock pictures are my firsts.

Plus ye olde version of Fottoshoppe versione foure pointe naught is back in action after removing a 128meg memory stick, preventing the wheezing, old piece of arcania from going into endless loops when presented with circa '94 impossible memory capabilities.......

It can deal with 516 but not 744!!!!! Says there is not enough RAM. I tried everything (and I mean everything) to fix this. Ended being a matter of pulling one stick out.

Yeah the systems a wee bit slower but it is sort of like me and the old cat. And I'd rather have Photoshop back with a slower system, than a faster system and no Photoshop.

I also had a fiddle with another piece of aging software. Organic Art which results you can see below.

2 Comments:

  • I know what you mean. I have a 1 gig P3 with 256 ram on this laptop. It's more than I ever use in terms of power and when I take out the floppy and the battery when I'm traveling, its light as can be.

    I did sort of wish I had something with more power, but I spend too much time infront of the computer. Maybe we should be thankful for our old machines :)

    By Blogger tetricus, at 12:21 pm  

  • As long as I can play music while surfing the web and maybe running the old version of photoshop and have my e-mail running in the background. It's all I really need. Firewall tends to be the biggest user of precessing power.

    It's not like I'm creating a Lord of the Rings CGI battle scene or anything!

    I just bought a second hand laptop with a 800 processor and it seems plenty big enough.

    Some of the older programs work better and faster, as they have a more elegant code (required by limited space and memories of old) not weighed down by bloatware.

    For example I have a delightful old program Acidwarp, which is size of a medium gif 57kb file that is probably one of the better random graphic engines I've come across.

    By Blogger Johnno, at 5:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home