Johnno

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Passwords and accounts




I've got passwords and accounts all over the place.

This blogspot thing, Flickr, gmail, PGP, hotmail, yahoo, banks, numerous forums, technocrati, feedburner, i-music, e-music, amazon, abebooks, ebay, a couple of websites (no make that three), credit card companies etc etc. There's probably another 20 services I haven't remembered but will when it comes to either use them or post a comment. And subscription services for newspapers, fuggetaboutit, use bugmenot instead.

I just went to put a comment on Johnny the Horses Flickr and I

1. Could not remember my login

2. Wasn't prepared to look for my login

3. Couldn't be bothered finding which multitude of e-mail addresses I used to login.

4. Downloaded to photo to my hard drive after sorting out the Flickr "spaceballs.gif" ploy (designed to stop you copying or squatting photos I 'spose). Uploaded it via Hello and am now saying "Good job Johnny" here.

It has come to point where I use one password for most services, another for some other services and yet another for higher level ones. Further consolidation may be in order. This year marks my 11th year on the web I think and there's a multitude of orphan, disused and crusty old accounts and subscriptions, just waiting for some anthropologist in the future to dig through.

It begs the question, how many passwords can a human remember before they get written down?

3 Comments:

  • I just downloaded one of those clean up your computer and get rid of all the background shit you don't know is there programs that was recommended to me. It also wiped all my logins. I really should have them written down somewhere.

    Are you grogblogging?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:14 am  

  • At this stage "yes" to the grogblogging.

    By Blogger Johnno, at 7:48 am  

  • I've been making this point for years (and not just because I'm gettin' old and also have no head for remembering a multitude of passwords and logins). So, yeah, I have 2-3 logins I always use, which defeats the security purpose, but makes my life easier so what the hell. There has got to be a secure way to access accounts without having to use 1500 login/passwords.

    Sorry? Am I ranting? Whooooaaaaa, buddy, I've only just started on this one.

    Oh, and at work, we have to change our password every 4-6 months and you can't use any of your last 10 passwords. Next time, I'm thinking of just using: "asdf;lkj" (a tip of the hat to 8th grade typing class) - should be easy enough to remember and to do. After that???

    And sorry about your HP photo printer probs, Johnno. Let me echo your "arseholes" and raise you two. Ain't no way to win with these guys.

    By Blogger MaryB, at 9:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home