Johnno

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Autumn Years

I'm pretty well at the end of my summer years, autumn is looming. Hip joints that my grandfather had replaced with shiny stainless steel are beginning to show signs of a little wear in my body, a reminder of my paternal line. One of the GOOD things I picked up from this line was a full head of hair and delayed greying, I missed out on the shortness of stature though, benefitting from maternal loftiness. The eyes are still sharp, despite staring at this screen for years. Thats the body section.......

Other observations from the autumn years.

Cops are looking younger and younger every day.

My friends are going through their second marriages. I have another one to go to next week. The stag nights are better organised and better behaved.

Accumulated pounds seem harder to get rid of than it used to.

Friends are having kids with a second partner, step brothers, sisters, sons and daughters seem to be in fashion. Dropping off someone else's kids at school is commonplace.

Relationships are more complicated with the addition of two sets of career, children, ex-partners, alimonies and the like. Accumulated karma, baggage and chatels seem to take a begrudged priority.

Wine becomes more of a treat than beer.

Cant think of anything else but I'm sure there's more, I'll edit it as time ticks on.

7 Comments:

  • Crawling home at 5am doesn't have quite the same appeal anymore.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:13 am  

  • No crawling home at 5am never really appealed to me. It is all in your head, age that is... I'm 23 going on 35 most days. Tonight I was more like a goofy 12 year old.

    By Blogger tetricus, at 7:00 pm  

  • I maintain many a childish-appearing activity simply because I like it and it has occured to me only in passing that I might be "too old".

    But, yes, the warranty on the body is obviously void for me as well.

    By Blogger Murphy Jacobs, at 12:49 am  

  • I thought of something else Autumny this morning but forgot it. Yet ANOTHER sign.....

    Ahhh..... that's it, the idea of time one day running out, suddenly manifests from some sort of inner barometer.

    There are also sudden cold snaps from time to time, letting me know winter is on the horizon. Conversely there are some balmy early autumn heat waves that remind us of a summer not long past.

    On the whole I enjoy Autumn, I think I'm gonna enjoy this.

    By Blogger Johnno, at 10:15 pm  

  • I have been experiencing a large taste of chill. Taking a class at UCLA (Psychological Statistics) with 160, 20 year olds (I am 53). Having read, lately (so I remember it) that one's mental peak (speed and plasticity) is at 20, I find it infuriating how quickly these idiot kids get the material, and how slow this once mercurial kid is getting it!

    Doooohhhh. The genius of The Simpsons is that everyone alive graduates from Bart or Lisa to Homer or Madge. Here is how you can find out, which you might be!

    By Blogger Peter (the other), at 6:21 am  

  • Heh, I came up Edna Krebappel.

    By Blogger Johnno, at 7:40 pm  

  • Oh, that all all sounds too familiar and close to home. Even the creaky joints. I got mine from my mom who has had both knees replaced. I'm getting close to having one done myself. But like you, still have a head full of non-graying hair. Pass the wine please... Interestingly, my favorite everyday wines are all from your neck of the woods. Black Opal Chardonnay and Yellow Tail Chiraz. But you guys probably keep the best stuff for yourselves...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home