Johnno

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Swimming Laps


Pool Posted by Picasa

It's been about ten days and I've made the 500mtr mark swimming laps.

I started off in a 25 metre pool, beginning with with the modest goal of six laps of the pool (150 metres). One the first day, I thought my lungs would explode after doing the first 25metres, gasping, eyes bulging and wondering what the hell I was doing in this environment unsuitable for humans.

I suppose I thought back to the glory days when I could do 800mtrs fully clothed (with shoes),without stopping, as part of my lifesaving certificate. Wooss! So I pressed on and did a rather painful 150 metres..... rather slowly.

From that point it's just been a matter of adding a couple of extra laps. The second day was a little better, the third day better still, the fourth etc etc. Today I made it to 20.

It can get deadly boring, looking at the black line pass underneath you. One is wondering churning through the water when that darned wall will appear. Then there it is like a welcome friend becking with open arms.

I'm still not able to do the 20 laps without stopping, I'll take a break now and then. Today it was eight laps, six laps, six laps....... I still remember that ghastly first day. One lap, stop, feel heart about to explode out of chest and puff, one lap, puff some more, another bloody lap,I'm too old for this, one lap, I do look fat don't I?..... better do another lap take a break and do the LAST LAP! I felt ill for a good hour afterwards.

It did get easier and now I must admit I'm sort of enjoying it. Still not able to pace up and down like some people doing 40 pretty slow laps non-stop but hey I'm getting there. Sometimes I stuff my breathing rhythm up, I usually do three strokes (left and right which I think as six strokes) and then have to start doing a breath per stroke, which is more an indication of my cardio vascular system than anything else.

But yep, it's becoming fun, I'm feeling better and my hair is getting that dried out bleached chlorine look.

8 Comments:

  • Good on you, John. A year or two ago, I too, tried to resurrect a high school ability for long slow distances in water. I experienced the same surprisingly bad cardio/pulmonary effect. I would have given it a go, but my local pool is so full, all the time, that you have to share a lane with three others. If you don't keep the pace, you end up with three annoyed swimmers up your bum (if that's your idea of a good time)!

    By Blogger Peter (the other), at 2:28 am  

  • Impressive! The perseverance as much as the accomplishment.

    By Blogger Arkady, at 3:45 am  

  • I have always loved the way swimming makes me feel so relaxed.

    By Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic, at 2:18 am  

  • Well, now you make me want to go swimming! A few years back, daughter Kate took an evening gymnastics class and instead of just sitting around for her I took deep water aerobics. Never slept so well in my life after those classes! (And great for my back, too.)

    By Blogger MaryB, at 1:53 pm  

  • You should check out my Political Satire Blog. I just recently wrote an artical about the real reason Bush is invading Iraq (It may surprise you!) and I, just yesterday, made a forum that I hope to get discussion going on anything from politics to sports to books in. So tell me what you think okay??

    http://thosegoldfishes.blogspot.com

    By Blogger thosegoldfishes, at 3:14 pm  

  • People up you bum......

    This is where it's useful to have the slow/medium/fast lanes and go in the slow one. Also pick a good time to swim when Mums are dropping off kids at school and there's not many people around. 8am seems the best.

    This way I get a lane to myself.

    By Blogger Johnno, at 4:32 am  

  • Hi just found your blog when I did a google search for swimming laps. I live in Georgia about 35 min west of Atlanta (USA). I was in a motorcycle accident when an idiot on cell phone ran stop sign and totalled my motorcycle. I started swimming laps mid May this year. I completed my first mile doing the backstroke(25 meter pool = 32 laps). I don't breathe very well freestyle stroke (wish I did since it is a faster stroke)so I did the mile in 55 min 25 seconds. I am very self competitive and wear a heart monitor to see how hard I am working out. My average heart rate for the mile was 146 BPM. I have saved your blog in my favorites. my yahoo id is purplebiker04 if you want some mutual encouragement

    Sue

    By Blogger purplebiker, at 2:46 am  

  • John, it looks like you've discovered the secret to good health. Not many people realize how good swimming is for the body, not to mention stress-reducing.

    If anyone wants to know more about the best options for getting their own lap pool or stationary lap pool, here's a good resource.

    http://www.1abovegroundpoolsdirect.com/

    Happy health!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home