Johnno

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I gotta get me one of these.


Retro Headset Posted by Picasa

No it's not a photoshop mockup at Worth1000. It's the real deal. US$29.95 from thinkgeekdotcom. Pull this out when the cellphone rings and you'f really look nuts.... I think that's the idea.

In their words:

Dial "R" for Retro

Yeah, we know all about bluetooth headsets for cell phones, but forget that stuff! We have here the latest development in cell phone technology and it's a big hunk of beautiful plastic. An accessory for your phone that you can really grab onto. Something with heft and that good-old-American solid construction feel - like a 1972 Cadillac.

The Retro Phone Handset is a new production replica of the Western Electric 500-series model, which was the classic phone handset for several decades. It's been slightly modified to work with the headset jack of most cell phones (or via a "hands free" adapter kit, sold elsewhere). Just plug-in and dial - or for added effect, put your cell phone in your pant's pocket - then it looks like you're talking on a phone connected to... well, who knows?

8 Comments:

  • LOL! Gotta get me one as well.
    Reminds me of when mobiles first became de riguer, when all the suits down at the pub near work would stand around conspicuously yelling into their brick phones and drowning out all other conversations. Occassionally I would lean against the bar and hold one of my shoes next to my ear mouthing silently until they would get the hint and quieten down, or give me a threatening look (at which point my friends would disown me)

    saint

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:14 pm  

  • I'm thinking someone was sitting around brainstorming, and there were too many donuts consumed. One guy made a joke about this, the rest couldn't stop laughing, and next thing they knew, it was on the production floor.

    Or those of us who hate that whole "The world turns around me and my loud cell phone conversation" thing can grab it and beat offenders into submission.

    By Blogger Murphy Jacobs, at 2:34 pm  

  • Does it come in a princess phone model? Baby blue?

    By Blogger MaryB, at 8:35 am  

  • Nope solid black, heavy HDPE only!

    By Blogger Johnno, at 8:12 am  

  • I just bought one... I could just see the confused look of other motorists as i'm talking on that in my old ford...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:46 am  

  • Heh, I'd do that down here if it wasn't illegal to drive whilst talking on the phone.

    Although a cop seeing it would be thinking, "Surely he isn't talking on that."

    By Blogger Johnno, at 8:54 am  

  • It's illegal in the city of Chicago, but i'm just outside of the limits.

    By Blogger tetricus, at 8:25 am  

  • w00t

    I want to build one of these out of the old phone I've got lying around the house...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home