Johnno

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Mr Pickwicks in Katoomba for Peter.


I don't know if it is anywhere near you...... but, just wanted to report a very nice experience doing business with one, Mr. Pickwick's Fine Old Books in the town of Katoomba NSW.
.......so wrote: Peter at the Loose Poodle

I replied.....

Mr Pickwicks is *MY* bookstore where I do most of my digging around for 2nd hand books. It's about 20 minutes up the road....fancy that! I'll get some
photos and an article about it on the weekend or a little later. You should
see the place, and the owner and the comic book section and the..... well
you get the picture.


So..... Mr. the Other, this is a couple of weeks after the fact.....however I eventually dragged my sad and sorry arse up there and got some pics as promised. Apologies for the dismal coding and layout, the fade left and right has really left me in a mess.

Here is the main facade.

Mr Pickwick himself, owner of the store Guy Weller. We had a chat for awhile about things bookish. He was more than happy for me to take a photo of him and his shop.










Books, antiques,books, antiques....which way will we go?












Downstair to view more curiosities!


















My favourite section complete with a bent-wood reading chair.
OK The coding, spacing and whatnot is getting really shabby here. Nevertheless a lovely sideboard with a Tiffiany style lamp and some bone china and silverware on top.

6 Comments:

  • You'll lure him over there with those pictures. None of the Other clan can resist places like that.

    By Blogger Arkady, at 9:58 pm  

  • LOL I'm still posting them. This coding is driving me nuts.

    Mother the Other......has a ring to huh?

    By Blogger Johnno, at 10:03 pm  

  • I went in there once for a browse and only came out when the police conducting the investigation into my disappearance found me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:53 am  

  • And ya just gotta lov a place called Katoomba! Thank you Johnno, it is a curiosity, to see the actual place, way across the world, from wence a book (I couldn't find anyplace else) arrived in a parcel.

    By Blogger Peter (the other), at 3:05 pm  

  • I could stay in a book store like that for hours.

    By Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic, at 3:59 am  

  • Well, I was lost in some shelves of photos, old opera and ballet programs and such like for quite awhile. I think a good hour was spent there, ended up with an old Nimrod theatre programme to frame.

    By Blogger Johnno, at 9:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home