Johnno

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Moving House



New world, old world.

Well.....

It's been about a month since I've blogged, reason being I've moved house up the mountains where you can really feel the chill or the mountain air in the morning, the term "bracing' came to mind this morning.

I'm on dial up and realised how slow this page loads without the luxury of dial up. It's bloody slow. It took me 10 days to get a phone line to the house and another three to get broadband which for some reason or another isn't yet operational. Internet phone technician guys have been called in to sort the non-service out.

Moving was an experience packing stuff, losing stuff and on the positive side finding stuff. And the above photo is one of the things I found which I thought was long lost. I remembered this image and tried to locate it for months. I searched for it on the internet "fat lady photographing a skinny black lady" etc etc al to no avail. I tried everywhere: photo award sites, google, Reuters, AP, flickr for months. However, going through my filing cabinet, I saw a copy of the Sydney Morning Herald dated September 15th 2001, wondered why I had kept it and had a browse through it. Thought it ay have been for a 9/11 aftermath story.

And there she was.....in all her glory, the fat lady in her fitness trainers photographing the skinny lady with the basket on her head. Found out it is an AP photo but I'm unsure who by. Nevertheless a classic.

I see Peter at the Loose Poodle is sorting out the moving/renovating too, thankfully I don't have to worry about the renovating as the owners previously were builders and had done all the work inside. There's a little landscaping to be done out the front which won't be much of a drama, I've picked out a few plants already and given one tree a good hard prune already. The weeds have been thoroughly sorted, however there's a lot more to do.

So..... when I finally get broadband I'll upload some more pics, including one of a pile of stuff including a surfboard piled up on the living room floor.

2 Comments:

  • A big congratulations! Oh I wish I hadn't taken on remodeling, let alone in a strange tongue. I have lost months of my life (for a tiny 28m2 apartment). I just want to be home for a LONG stretch, in Santa Monica. With my own bed, kitchen, studio/office. I bought this place in Paris, as an investment, for I had a sure thing tenant for three years. Now the sure thing has gone away, and financial boondoggle is my middle names.

    By Blogger Peter (the other), at 10:56 pm  

  • Glad to see you back online, mate, be it at snail's pace. Dial-up? Aaarrrrrgh... Hope the techies get the fast channel opened for you soon... Drop by when time, and speed, permits...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home