Johnno

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Table of cans.


I work in a beverage factory. The above is a photo I took of an accumulation table from a mezzanine deck..... full of upended cans. The accumulation table acts like a buffer between a slower machine (in this case the packing machines) and a faster machine (the filler) and gets build-ups and emptied depending on the day. The cans are upside down so information can be printed with a high speed ink printer on the bottom. Cans are filled at the rate of 1000 a minute. There's about 5 minute build up in this picture.

A person in the beverage industry would be able to look at this photo and say that with some confidence, a machine was stopped somewhere downstream. Either that or the conveyor speeds have not been programmed correctly. The full thin band across the top indicating a full conveyor is a giveaway.

You can see all sort of random chaos/ close sphere packing arrangements in there. I thought it was a nice geometrical shot.

4 Comments:

  • thats cool

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:35 am  

  • Oooh, ooooh, oooh, I just love machines! I also love accidental art/chaos. May favorite day in grade school, was the day they took us to the local Coca Cola bottling plant. Over forty years later I still have the rule they handed out to us students. Hope the stoppage is not your problem 8-0 ?

    By Blogger Peter (the other), at 10:17 am  

  • No I was just an observer!

    I look after a bottling line which is like a train set but bigger. For some reason I've left my working life off this blog. So I decided to share a bit of it. I used to equate manufacturing with a rather boring and mundane type of work (and thought it may be viewed by outsiders similarly) when it actually isn't the case.

    The line I inherited was the poorest performing of the lot. With a bit of thinking and being pro-active instead of re-acting, the line's performance has turned around.

    I'll have to take a few more random-art and movement images around the place. There are photo oppotunities everywhere.

    By Blogger Johnno, at 11:16 am  

  • It would have been a good, "Guess what this is a picture of" sort of thing. I'm with Peter. Chaos causing art and having it's moment captured is good.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home