Johnno

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Lifeboats



I found this photo while rummaging through a box of photos and postcards at an antique store in Katoomba. I'm not sure who photographed it but I thought it was rather good. I've kept the sepia tone as the photo fades with time. Click the above to enlarge.

Sadly a lot of items like these are from deceased estates, so the original photographer may have left this mortal coil. But the photo taken somewhere on the South Coast of New South Wales is still around, freeze framing an instant of some fishing boats at night.

So, rather than staying in a dusty old box hidden away, unknown and forgotten.......our more than likely long-gone-photographer's effort is now available for everyone. Sort of a vision from beyond I 'spose.

I wonder in 100 years, if my old photos stashed away on a creaky old server somewhere..... will similarly one day be discovered and shared around for strangers to look at?

4 Comments:

  • Interesting... Note the differing sizes... Nothing in the photo seems to betray the vintage... Good find, Johnno... What will be the ultimate fate of all the crapola we upload to servers?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:54 pm  

  • Heh, yes Winston I was musing what value my utterances would be to some some sociology student in a few years.

    Not much, nevertheless..... it gives one an idea of some sort of history being made :-)

    By Blogger Johnno, at 10:10 pm  

  • "An antique store in Katoomba." I love the sound of that.

    I realize that all of my photos taken over the past couple of years are in the computer - most backed up on a CD, but many aren't.

    Made a little headway yesterday, taking the time to turn the photos on my digital camera to hard copies (even a couple of enlargements). It's still nice to hold a picture in my hand rather than see it on a computer screen. Now I need to get the rest of the screen shots to paper.

    Great picture - (as always)

    By Blogger MaryB, at 1:25 am  

  • Hey! Look at these old photos I found, Gaaaawd, they must be a century old. Gee this Johnno guy looks a right old fashioned fellow. Ooops, did you set the time warp button on the google again? Oh no!!!!! We're trapped on some mechanical digital storage device, back in the 21st century. What is that buzzing sound, is it getting hotter in he.........................

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home